Report on A2M2TECH / Launch Event
This report has been prepared to provide information about A2M2TECH “Launch Event” which took place, on line, dated 21 September 2021 at 11:00 a.m. Turkish time.
Event Date: 21 September 2021
Media: On-line / Microsoft Teams meeting
Project Coordinator of A2M2TECH;
Project Management Team of A2M2TECH;
ERMAKSAN MAKİNA SANAYİ VE TİCARET A.Ş.;
University of Southern Denmark (SDU) (DENMARK);
PhD Candidates from SDU;
PhD Candidates from India;
PhD Candidates from Pakistan;
PhD Candidates from Ukraine.
The Content of the Presentation
A2M2TECH is an excellence doctoral training programme in Advanced Materials and Advanced Manufacturing Technologies led by Gazi University (GU) as the beneficiary and the main hosting organization in Turkey and coordinated through the Additive Manufacturing Technologies Application and Research Center (EKTAM), a National Center of Excellence for Additive Manufacturing (ektam.gazi.edu.tr).
- The programme is cofounded by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) and European Commission.
- In addition to Gazi University (GU) (gazi.edu.tr),
There are 3 other reputable Turkish universities as Partner Organizations namely;
Middle East Technical University (METU) (metu.edu.tr),
İstanbul Technical University (ITU) (itu.edu.tr)
İzmir Institute of Technology (IZTECH) (en.iyte.edu.tr).
All universities as part of the Programme have cutting-edge technologies and have modern working environment with a view to enhancing the performance of the ESRs.
- We are seeking 22 Ph.D. candidates, called Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) to work under the Project. The aim of A2M2TECH is to deliver an interdisciplinary, intersectorial and international excellence doctoral training programme in all aspects of advanced manufacturing and advanced materials, with a major focus on additive manufacturing and related technologies.
- Unique Approach to Obtain PhD Degree: Once the potential ESRs have been selected and qualified as ESRs they will;
be registered to one of the top research Universities in Turkey;
- Gazi University (GU) in Ankara (13 ESRs),
- Middle East Technical University (METU) in Ankara (4 ESRs),
- Istanbul Technical University (ITU) in Istanbul (3 ESRs),
- Izmir Institute of Technology (IZTECH) in Izmir (2 ESRs),
As a pre-requisite in the Turkish PhD system, all prospective PhD researchers must complete at least 8 compulsory graduate lectures plus one seminar over two semesters as part of their training. Once this stage is completed, they can move onto the research project, after completing the qualifying exam.
- After ESRs have completed at least 8 compulsory graduate lectures plus one seminar and courses over two semesters and passed the qualifying exam at their hosing university (they are required to complete this period in 1 year), all 22 ESRs will start working on their research in EKTAM for 3 years based in Ankara.
Structure of the PhD Programme
The training programme includes practical Hands-On-Schools, Summer Schools, Industrial Training, Secondments and a Final A2M2TECH Conference.
Recruited ESRs will have the opportunity to carry out secondments in several national & international host institutions with a particular focus on the intersectoral University-Industry collaboration:
- Tusaş Aerospace Industries (TAI) (Turkey),
- Teknohab Techno-Park (science park) (TeknoHAB) as the TechnoPark within GU,
- University Carlos III (Spain),
- FIT Additive Manufacturing Group (Germany),
- Ermaksan Innovative Technologies (ERMAKSAN) (Turkey)
- University of Southern Denmark (USD) – Mads Clausen Institute participate in the training programme as partner organisations hosting fellows through secondments.
Career Perspective of ESRs After Graduation
Through this programme, the potential ESRs will have the opportunity to grow academically and also built their career in industry at the same time. Once the potential ESRs are selected and qualified as ESRs, they will also be part of a wide range of scientific networking of the hosting top research organizations/universities and research centers.
After completing the Ph.D., ESRs will have a chance to get an employment at spin of companies and technology companies at TechnoHAB and/or even develop their own company to exploit the results generated in their research project during the programme.
Cost of Living in Turkey and Financial Conditions
- 22 early-stage researchers (ESR) will be selected, recruited and appointed on 48-month contract. Selection of ESRs will follow transparent, open and merit-based procedure.
- The ESR fellows will enjoy excellent working and training conditions, a contract with generous financial conditions and all the necessary work-place facilities.
- Compared to many European and other countries in the world, cost of living in Turkey is very affordable.
- Financial support under this doctoral programme is much more generous compared to the most relevant regional and national funding schemes for doctoral researchers.
Potential ESRs may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Turkey for more than 12 months in the three years immediately before the date of recruitment. In other words, if the potential ESRs who have been in Turkey during the last 12 months before applying to the programme, will be considered as ineligible. Specific eligibility criteria of the hosting universities are mentioned on the official website of the programme;www.a2m2tech.org.tr
Also at the date of recruitment, researchers must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers. That is to say, applicants will be in the first four years after their completion of the Master’s degree and not yet have been awarded a PhD (the gap between the date of obtaining the Master degree and the date to apply to the programme can be maximum 4 years).
Applicants can apply to more than one research topics (up to three research topics offered by hosting universities). 36 research topics can be seen via the offcial website of the programme: Research Topics
The applicant will be assigned to one of those based on her/his priority and scoring/ranking.
Application Procedure & Deadline
Application form must be filled via the following official website of the programme:
Information on the following topics can also be found on the official website of the programme:
- Supporting documents to be uploaded,
- Deadline for application,
- Evaluation procedures
- Monthly income and fringe benefits
Deadline for Application: 30 November 2021